01 January 2010

Moving along.

Christmas is over, fa-la-la-la-la.

The holidays were, for the most part, a pleasant experience. The Kid and I spent four days in the Land of Happiness and Delight, aka: Mom-mom and Pop-pop’s house. My parents took their time spoiling him this year, starting small with a fire truck that drives itself, has sirens and lights, and plays a very C.Hi.P.-like theme song. They moved on to bigger and better prizes like a new wardrobe and a trip to the beach throughout the course of the weekend. Me? I got exactly what I asked for: a tin of flavored popcorn and a bright red bathrobe. I have been asking for this for literally years but have never received it. I think when you ask for something so simple and inexpensive people don’t believe that you really want it. They think you are kidding and you must want something bigger and better. A bathrobe, really? Yes, really. This year something snapped and when my mom and dad asked me what I wanted I just flipped out and said, “I have told you for years that I want a tin of popcorn and a bathrobe. Will someone please make my Christmas wish come true?” And they did.

The X was jerky. He delivered his usual routine.

I’m getting my storage unit next week and will be moving out of my house on the 9th. I made a few calls to find the best rate on a unit, and the only person I could get to answer the phone was Bill. We discussed rates and his location (which is only a few blocks from my house, joy!), and then he explained that he was actually in California visiting his son. He told me all about his trip, how his flight was delayed three days because of the weather, and when he was able to finally fly out his layover was delayed because the plane went sideways on the landing and had to take off again…people were screaming, luggage was flying…then he had to run to the next plane…he and his wife loaded the plane, they shut the doors and took off, that’s how close it was…Keep in mind that I have only known Bill 5 minutes and he doesn’t even know my name. He told me to show up on the 6th with $60 cash and a driver’s license because he “don’t take checks no more.” I think Bill and I are going to get along just fine.

I have a ton of helpers, my family is driving two hours to get to me and get me through this. I haven’t decided yet if the fluttering I feel in my stomach is excitement or fear. I have pretty much shelved emotions for the time being. I think it is best to push forward through the physical move, map out my financial recovery plan, and then let emotions come on back, one at a time, to be dealt with severely and then told to move on. I’m not going to hang on to my negativity, my anger, my fear, or my sadness. Those have a time and place, and then they need to go away. Period. I have seen so many people swallowed by their sadness. They have health problems, weight problems, and poor self image. I know that as tempting as it may be to hide in my grief it can also be consuming. No way. I’m going to get through this. It helps to know you all are with me every step of the way.

TTFN,
K.J.

No comments:

Post a Comment