13 January 2010

Double standards and all that goes with them.

Here we are, halfway into the first of fourteen months, and already I have been told at least a dozen times that The Right Guy is out there waiting for me. Well, I sincerely hope not. If The Right Guy is out there waiting for me I feel really bad for him, because it’s going to be a long wait. I am not thinking about him right now. I haven’t even unpacked my bedroom, for crying out loud. I have applied and gotten an interview for a Master’s degree (yay!), I have a little man to take care of, I have a ton of financial woes, and I still haven’t even filed for divorce. I have far too much going on to worry about The Right Guy.

Now look, I am a woman who works in a professional field, I have a college degree; I am well-read and can have intelligent conversations about anything from Sports Center to St. Augustine. I am fairly artistic, I have hobbies, computer skills, and a wide range of friendships that cover just about every demographic out there. I do not hesitate to go to a good movie or a delicious dinner alone, and I don’t really like long walks on the beach.

Why do people feel like this is the thing to say to the divorcing female? Why do they think this is the wisdom I am looking for? Is it because I am a woman? Are The X’s guy friends telling him that The Right Girl is out there waiting for him? Maybe, but I doubt it. They are most likely toasting his single-hood and trying to find him a good lay. No one has offered me any of that yet; they have only offered me consolation that my next marriage will be a good one, with The Right Guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment